HEY! I know I’ve pretty much retired this blog BUT I really wanted to post about Oscars somewhere and I didn’t want to lose followers from my obnoxiousness SO!
- Picture = Argo. Although winning the Globe doesn’t mean anything to Oscar’s, winning the SAG does, especially against 2 movies (Lincoln, Les Mis) whose main draw IS their cast. The amount of backing Argo has to win the Oscar is crazy. It’s won the BAFTA, GG, SAG, FCA, and every other acronym on the face of the planet. Lincoln had a lot of steam during nominations season, but since then has become a little too cliche for Oscar voters. Silver Linings Playbook is my possible upset. It got a lot of Oscar love and seems to be SO different from all the other nominees that it could carry a Best Picture title nicely.
- Actor = Daniel Day-Lewis. Nuff said
- Actress = Jennifer Lawrence. This is a CRAZY race. Although Jennifer has the largest backing, it’s not by much. Jessica Chastain and Emmanuelle Riva are just as close to gold tonight. Reasoning for Jennifer Lawrence winning is
A. She won the SAG which is rarely wrong
B. She is young BUT not unknown. (Think Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love)
C. She’s in a movie that received A LOT of unexpected nomination love
D. No one has heard of “Amour” and unfortunately for Chastain, every has seemed to have lost interest in ZD30, leaving her oscar chances smaller and smaller.
I’m kind of hoping Chastain takes home Best Actress tonight, but Lawrence winning would be just as good/ more likely
- Director = Russel (Silver Linings Playbook) ? This is a toughy, because the obvious choice ISN’T EVEN NOMINATED! For some reason the Oscar’s didn’t give very much love to Argo during nominations, but a lot has changed since then, such as, Ben Affleck is this year’s most popular director with experts and least nominated at the Oscars. He has won EVERY directing award this season, yet isn’t nominated for the Oscar. What the fuck. Anyways, the reason I pick Russell over Ang Lee (Life of Pi) or Spielberg (Lincoln) is because Silver Linings seems to be the movie that is most loved by the oscars. Sure, Lincoln and Pi both have absolutely gorgeous direction and are oscar-worthy, but they have lost their oscar-drive and that = no award. I’m calling Spielberg in as another option (not really an upset because he is ranked as most likely to win tonight) but my gut is going with the underdog in this case.
- Supp Actor = Tommy Lee Jones. Robert DeNiro has a very strong chance of taking the prize too but I feel like Tommy Lee Jones has really given the most inspiring performance of his career. If you can steal the scene away from Daniel Day fucking Lewis, dammit you deserve an oscar.
- Supp Actress = Anne Hathaway. That’s it
- Original Screenplay = Django, it got a lot of Oscar love too and also have you seen this movie? It’s fucking crazy
- Adapted Screenplay = Argo, upset Lincoln. Same argument as for Best Picture
- Animated Picture = Brave (It’s a Pixar, it automatically wins)
- Foreign Film= Amour is also nominated for Best Picture soooooo… They kind of already said who the winner is…
- Documentary= I WANT “HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE” TO WIN SOOOOOOOOOOO BADLY!!!!! Searching for Sugar Man will probably win though
- And those are all the categories I care about. Goodbye until Tony season!